Tuesday, 8 November 2011

Top Ten Book Tuesday



That was last Tuesday's Top 10 actually, but I'm famous for two things: my genius and my procrastination.

Top 10 books I had strong emotions over


1. Orlando by Virginia Woolf

Probably my most beloved book of all time and one that I constantly re-read. I literally feel its words and imagery like an expansion of myself - it felt like this from the very first time. I breathe Orlando.

2.Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind by Hayao Miyazaki

Read this comic. Now. It's the most humane, compassionate, beautiful thing I have ever read.

3. Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto

Banana makes me happy! 'Nostalgia for things I've never lived' is what I would describe her effect on me. I read this one during some of the happiest days of my life, so she always reminds me how the small things in life make it unique.

4. Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand

This is the one and only love story I completely adore. Everything about it is pretty much, perfect (yes I'm biased).

5. Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach

This one was one of my favourite books when I was very young. It feels like a completely different person loved this book back then, but the feelings return all the same.

6. Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi

I hated this book so much. There are many fairytales I have my issues with, but this one was downright repulsive.

7. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

I have many mixed, contradictory feelings about this one. Truth is, I didn't like it. I loved some of the characters, but this book made me so angry during most of its pages I almost threw it off the window.

8. Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

Worst. Book. Ever. And no, it was not because Artemis was an 'anti-hero'. It was because it was messy and stupid.

9. Loving Each Other by Leo Buscaglia

This kind of book drives me crazy. The holier-than-thou 'I'll tell you how to be good and wise' attitude is something I really despise in books, as it ruins literature. During middle school I was into these books a lot, but Buscaglia terrorised me even back then!

10. The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe

I have to pay homage. I was given by my aunt a wonderful edition of The Raven when I was 12 and I was fascinated. It was probably the first time in my life I got to read something really good. Then I started reading poetry like crazy.

I still think I understood poetry better back then.

3 comments:

o said...

I loved Orlando, too :)

Not yet read Pinocchio but I do have it. It's still on my TBR pile!

Odyssey said...

Other than numbers 8&9 I've read them all and love them. If you're not moved by them, if they don't become lifelong loves, then you're dead inside!

Pippi Bluestocking said...

Lifelong loves or lifelong hates! Hehe! I think the books we hate passionately show us something we fear or dislike in ourselves. They stir strong emotions, so they affect us as much as those we love.

Something tells me Don Quixote will join this list but I still haven't found the time to read the absurdly long manuscript. Sigh.

Now that I'm re-reading this list I remembered so many other books I loved and hated even more than some of these. After all, that's why we read. If not to feel alive then, what?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...